Well, tax free food has arrived at my work. Hang on a minute, food is already free of GST isn't it? Yes, it is but it is also taxed because you use your after-tax dollars to purchase your food, so in an in-direct manner you are being taxed for buying your food.
While I was overseas, our HR department has introduced a program where you can purchase your food with your pre-tax dollars, essentially salary sacrificing for your food. The organisation that is running with this program is EzyBite, which is part of the Accor services.
This is how it works.
- You sign up with EzyBite to get onto the program.
- You nominate how much you want to spend on your food per pay period. So for me that would be monthly.
- When you are hungry, you order on-line and your food will be delivered at agreed timed, usually be lunch time.
- Enjoy the food and the savings.
However, there are a couple of rules.
- You must order through the EzyBite program to get this savings. So you can't just walk into the shop and order over the counter.
- You must eat your food on your work premises.
I am still thinking if it make sense in my case, but will probably sign up for about $10 per month. I sometimes forget to brown bag my lunch and just buy it from the take-away across the road. This program will become quite handy. $10 per month equates to a purchase power of around $13, that should buy me a nice juicy burger with the lot!
I shall let you know in a few months time if this is working out.
photo credit: Maira Kouvara