The Ford Territory can be fitted with a LPG option. With the current fuel pricing almost hitting the $1.50 per litre mark, having the car on LPG (at about $0.60 per litre) is certainly attractive. We considered it, but after closely looking the maths. It take a while to break even at the cost of it. Lets have a look at the maths.
- The differential cost between the fuel and LPG is about $1 per litre.
- The cost of the fitting the LPG option is about $3500 and $4800, excluding the government rebate.
- The government rebate is $2000, which will being the cost to $1500 to $2800. We would qualify for a $2000, instead of a $1000, as this option is considered as an after market option as Ford does not recommend a LPG unit for the Ford Territory.
- We will start to save money after we have used up 1500 litres and 2800 litres of LPG.
- The Ford Territory has a fuel economy of about 12 litres / 100km. This works out to be a distance of about 12,500 kilometers or 23,0000 kilometers.
So we have made the decision to stay with petrol, and will revisit this option again later on.