Wednesday 9 January 2008

renting your stuff out


While I was browsing GDay World today, I came across an article about an internet startup call rentoid.com. The idea behind it is that it provides a forum it connects the people who have stuff to rents and people who are looking to rent stuff.

For example, I have a lawn mower sitting in the shed that is gathering dust because the drought in Australia is so bad that all my grass has died and I don't have any grass to cut. Now, what if I could rent the lawn mower out to someone that actually has grass to cut. I would advertise this fact on rentoid.com. Some wanting to rent a lawn mower would go to rentoid.com, sees that I have a lawn mower for rent. The connection is made and his grass is nice and tidy!

rentoid.com puts a new spin on an alternative income stream. For someone who may have a lot of things laying around gathering dust, this website may provide an alternative income stream from those items.

Please sure that some of the supporting infrastructure such as insurance for your items, public liability insurance and maintenance are in place before launching yourself into this.

rentoid.com makes it money by taking a percentage of the rental fee, so it is a win-win-win situation for all parties involve.

I am uncertain how successful this venture will be for rentoid.com and for the people with things to rent out, but it is one of the more original ideas that I have come across on the internet.

No comments: